What if I enter Canada by boat?

The travel authorisation rules for entering Canada by boat are different to entering the country by air. Travellers arriving in Canada by boat, or land (i.e. car, train, bus etc.) do not require an eTA even if they are on a cruise ship. You must carry acceptable travel documents to confirm your identity. Visa-exempt foreign nationals do not require an eTA but will require a visitor visa.
If you are travelling by private boat then the Captain is required to call the CBSA to inform them of the boat’s arrival. They will also be required to provide details of all passengers in terms of citizenship, passport and visa information. It is important that you have all of your documents ready to be inspected by the Customs Officers.