Canadian Transit Visa

If you are going on a trip that involves transit in Canada then you need to be sure that you have the correct type of authorisation to enter across the border. Even if you are just travelling through Canada and not stopping there, you will require a transit visa.

Do I need a visa for transit in Canada?

If you are transiting Canada then you require a visa or an eTA to be allowed to do so. Even if you are only in Canada for a very short time, you still require a visa. An eTA is the most common way to get authorisation is you are simply in Canada as transit.
Exception - If your plane refuels in Canada on the way to/from the US or a country that is in the Transit Without Visa Program then this is the exception where you would not require a visa.

Requirements for transit visa

To apply for an eTA you must be a citizen of a country that is visa-exempt for example, UK or Australia. You can see the full list of countries here. Applying for eTA takes just a few minutes but you will need to have a valid passport and have your details ready to enter into the online form. You will also require a debit or credit card to pay the application fee for the Canada transit visa. If you are not from the visa-exempt countries then you will require a Temporary Resident Visa for transit.

Types of transit visas

There are three types of temporary resident visas available – single entry, multiple entry and transit. You are advised to apply for a transit visa well in advance of travelling.
If you are eligible for the eTA Canada transit then this is just a case of applying online using the eTA application form. It takes around ten minutes to complete and you will get confirmation through by email to say whether it has been approved.