What if I enter Canada with a car?

If you are travelling to Canada by land such as by car, train or bus then you will require a visitor visa rather than an eTA to provide the relevant authorisation to enter the country. Travellers entering Canada by air do need an eTA but not those who arrive via land but you must have acceptable travel documents and identification with you.
When you reach the border, all of your travel documents will be checked by the border services to ensure that you are legally allowed to enter Canada. The border patrol agents may ask you questions regarding your citizenship, your reason for visiting Canada and other questions such as what items you are carrying in the car with you. You should check which items are prohibited before you start journey and be prepared for long queues at the border.